BERSHKA Dress | ZARA Bag
With the number of various images dominating traditional media, and now social media, it is no surprise that we find ourselves in moments where we compare ourselves – beauty, appearance, wealth, level of success, social status, diet.. the list goes on – to the next person, that seemingly has all of these and everything you could possibly dream of. As much as there are images, I believe there should also be moments to remind ourselves that that’s all they are: images. However aesthetically pleasing they may be there is a reality behind them, very normal, and in a lot of cases very relatable, but we do often forget and find ourselves at times not feeling good enough.
I watched Kaushal’s video yesterday, and in it she spoke about makeup online vs makeup offline, and it was a very educational video that touched on some points that really resonated with me, most of all was that she wanted to create her content in the most natural light as possible, and although she was talking about her creation of makeup tutorials, it struck a chord with me to post about a few things I keep in my mind while absorbing (and most times enjoying) all of these images. I have found them to be very helpful when that nagging moment of not feeling good enough tries to creep up, and here they are:
1. Stop, don’t compare yourself to that person, instead highlight one or two positive attributes about yourself and embrace them in that moment.
2. Take time out to take care of yourself, be it a good pamper (a hair and nails day can do you a world of good), workout at the gym or try something fun and new.
3. Count your blessings, and be grateful for them.
4. Learn to accept yourself and work on having an inner voice that is kind to you.
5. Minimise self deprecation as a form of joking, as this may have a negative effect on the way you feel about yourself long term.
6. Celebrate other people and show appreciation for them, and remember that their successes in some cases, are solutions to problems they have been facing and are happy to have found them.
7. Remind yourself that you are strong and capable, and everything that should happen in your life will happen, and at the right time.
What do you like to do stay feeling good enough always?